Everton have confirmed on their official website that their new summer signing Jean-Philippe Gbamin has sustained a serious muscle injury. In the post-match interview after the Toffees’ 2-0 loss away at Aston Villa on Friday night, Marco Silva provided an update on the extent of Gbamin’s injury and said (via the Liverpool Echo), “It’s more serious than we’d expected and will be some weeks. The Merseyside club has later released a statement on their website which read, “Midfielder Jean-Philippe Gbamin has sustained a significant injury to his right quadriceps muscle. “The 23-year-old will undergo further investigation with the Club’s medical staff at USM Finch Farm this week.”
Everton midfielder Jean-Philippe Gbamin has avoided the need for surgery on his damaged quadriceps.
The £25m summer signing sustained the tendon injury in training last month and the Blues' initial prognosis puts Gbamin out for "at least" eight weeks. At first, Everton were unable to rule out the need for Gbamin to go under the knife on the problem in his right leg but the ECHO understands that after the club sought expert advice from consultants on the continent, it was decided that the 23-year-old would not need an operation. Gbamin is said to be recovering well at Finch Farm but the Blues are still not able to put a more specific timescale on his return.
There had been early fears that the Ivory Coast international could be out for three months but Everton have yet to talk about return dates beyond an initial club statement which said he would be sidelined for eight weeks, as a minimum.