Bury's EFL membership was officially withdrawn on Tuesday night after a takeover from bid from C&N Sporting Risk Limited collapsed, but fans aren't giving up without a fight.
A petition created by supporter Deborah Warrington has called for the English Football League to consider the offer of an international consortium.
Is is believed that SJ Global are ready to pay up to £7 million for a complete takeover should they be reinstated. Despite the fact Debbie Jevans, the EFL's executive chair, has said there is no appeal process to force the governing body to overturn their decision, over 4,000 people have signed the petition at the time of writing.
"The EFL need to consider the SJ Global bid. The initial offer was in before the deadline, the money is transferred as promised, and this does not need to go to court.
"The EFL messed up and did not explore all avenues and incorrectly thought the bid had been withdrawn.
"Please sign this petition and contact your own club and supporters association and ask them to provide messages of support for Bury FC and pressure the EFL. Sky Sports report that the consortium will rescue the club if the EFL makes a U-turn on its decision.
The consortium has reportedly shown the EFL 'proof of funds' to buy the club and were in talks to complete a takeover on Tuesday.
Bury owner Steve Dale is believed to have said that two potential buyers are willing to rescue the cash-strapped club. He, along with thousands of fans, want the EFL to change its initial verdict handed down to Bury.
It is believed that the EFL are set to have a meeting at midday on Thursday to discuss the situation regarding the football club.
Bury have been handed a lifeline by the EFL after agreeing to discuss allowing them back into the Football League from next term onwards.
The Shakers were expelled from the Football League last week, losing their place in League One, after C&N Sporting Risk pulled out of a last-ditch takeover.
They had initially started off with a 12-point deduction in League One but failed to play a single game before their expulsion due to severe financial problems. But since that doomed day for Bury, the EFL have responded with a statement addressing suggestions that they should be reinstated into the Football League next season.
On Tuesday afternoon, the EFL said the 'only current established procedure' to earn a place in League Two would be via promotion from the National League.
But they did add that due to the 'extreme nature of the problems' at Bury, they had 'agreed it is appropriate to discuss the matter with member Clubs'.
They finalised the statement: 'Prior to formal consideration by any league competition of an eventual application from Bury FC to return to league football, clear evidence would be required of the Club's financial viability and its ability to fulfil its ongoing commitments.'
At present, Bury must submit their application for re-entry into the English league system to the Football Association, who would determine which division they will start back up in.
A proposal for Bury to be readmitted to League Two next season was rejected by the English Football League's 71 member clubs at a meeting on Thursday.
Bury, who were in League One, were expelled from the EFL in August after a last-ditch takeover bid collapsed.
On Friday, a group trying to rescue Bury submitted a plan for "compassionate re-entry" to League Two.
However, an EFL statement said "it became clear that the proposal did not have the necessary support".
It added that EFL clubs' "preferred direction of travel" was "extending the existing principle of a reduction in relegation across all divisions as a means of returning to 72 clubs now and for the future".
It means only one team will go down from League Two this campaign, rather than two, while three clubs will go down from League One.
Bury expelled from EFL after takeover collapses EFL executive chair Debbie Jevans said: "While we are saddened that Bury FC is no longer part of the EFL, the board's difficult decision to withdraw membership was only taken after every opportunity to find a resolution was exhausted.
"Since then, in recognition of the efforts made on behalf of the club, the EFL has engaged with supporters' groups, shared their submissions with our members and debated at length the issues raised.
"Following the discussion today, clubs have established that the preferred direction of travel is to reduce relegation from League Two as a means of returning to 72 clubs.
"The clubs felt that, in a difficult situation, this approach maintains fairness for all members and upholds the principle of the football pyramid."