Post by Everton News. on Sept 28, 2018 17:41:22 GMT
Everton suspend academy chief accused of tapping up Cardiff City schoolboy
Martin Waldron, the Merseyside club’s head of academy recruitment, has been temporarily relieved of his duties
The Everton academy chief accused of tapping-up a schoolboy now playing for Manchester United has been suspended pending an investigation into the case.
Telegraph Sport has learnt that Martin Waldron, the Merseyside club’s head of academy recruitment, has been temporarily relieved of his duties while they and the Premier League probe allegations he breached regulations on the transfer of minors.
Internal and external investigations were launched after the league received a letter last month – a copy of which was also sent to this newspaper – accusing Waldron of having tapped up a Cardiff City schoolboy in 2016.
If found guilty, Everton risk joining Liverpool and Manchester City in being handed an academy transfer ban.
The Telegraph can also reveal Waldron has been questioned previously by the Premier League over his recruitment of other schoolboy players during what is a strict process for approving such moves.
Another letter sent to this newspaper this month suggested this had occurred nine times and that those transfers had been cleared each time.
It even claimed Waldron has boasted about his “9-0” unblemished record over such moves.
Waldron has been questioned previously by the Premier League over his recruitment of other schoolboy players
Allegations he had been told to stay away from work pending the outcome of the current investigations were made in a third letter sent to the Telegraph this week.
The original letter accused him of approaching the Cardiff schoolboy’s family “towards the end of his under-11 year or early in the under-12 year”.
It claims the boy was offered a place at a school associated with Everton, as well as “full costs paid for a rented house and a family allowance cash payment of £600 per month”.
The letter alleges the proposed transfer collapsed after Waldron was informed it would not comply with “international clearance rules”, leaving the boy “in limbo” and “unable to play” academy football.
The Telegraph corroborated this latter claim with a source familiar with the case who said Everton pulled out of the deal – after the family had already relocated to the North-West – due to Fifa regulations governing cross-border transfers for players under the age of 16.
The source also revealed the boy, whom the Telegraph has chosen not to name, was forced to return to the grass-roots game until Cardiff received approximately £10,000 compensation for his development.
He was eventually scouted by United, whom the source said learnt of his plight from his “upset” mother and who agreed to sign him last year and pay the compensation figure owed.
The boy’s mother did not respond to requests for comment when contacted about the case.
Everton and the Premier League declined to comment on Waldron being told to stay away from work.
The Merseysiders also declined to comment on other allegations made in the three letters sent to the Telegraph beyond saying: “Everton has been notified of an allegation relating to an approach by the club to an academy-aged player.
“On being made aware of this, we immediately launched an internal investigation and have been cooperating fully with all of the relevant authorities.”
Waldron, who has been at Everton for more than two decades, has not responded to requests for comment about any of the allegations against him.
Everton were one of the victims of tapping-up by Manchester City, who were last year handed a two-year academy transfer ban – the second year of which was suspended for three years – over their recruitment of two schoolboys.
The Merseysiders were already facing an independent inquiry into their recruitment of manager Marco Silva amid a bitter dispute with his former club, Watford.